When was the last time you ventured on a nostalgic excursion, using a time machine to relive childhood memories while seeking methods to generate extra money?
The attic, as we know it from American pop culture, is uncommon in South Africa, we used it to represent any storage space where valuable objects may potentially be found. Because most of us have fond recollections of figurines and toys, what if we converted those fond memories into cash? For example, did you know that 1980s figurines like Savage He-Man were some of the most iconic collections of their time? The worth of He-Man The Towers of Eternia might reach R201,000!
Check out the ideas we've compiled if you want to sell your figurines since they may be worth a lot of money. Cashing them in or selling them could be a great way to make space whilst earning a few extra Rands to help with an emergency fund or closing that debt gap.
Things to consider with collectable figurines and toys.
- If you decide to sell your old toys, it’s important to determine the true value of the figurines. This can be done by researching similar figurines online or consulting with an appraiser or antiques dealer who can give you an idea of their worth.
- If the figurines are indeed valuable, you may want to consider selling them through an auction house or consignment shop. These options can be helpful to get a fair price for your items. Online marketplaces like Bobshop (formally BidorBuy), eBay or Etsy can assist you to sell your figurines, particularly if they have a specific theme or are part of a larger collection.
- When selling your figurines, it’s important to provide accurate descriptions and high-quality photographs to potential buyers. This can help them make an informed decision about the value of the item and may increase the chances of a successful sale.
- Remember that the value of figurines can vary widely based on factors such as their age, rarity, and condition, so it’s important to do your research and seek expert advice before attempting to sell them.
- It’s important to make sure the figurines are in good condition. Any damage or wear and tear can significantly decrease their value. If there are any chips, cracks, or missing pieces, it’s best to disclose this to potential buyers and adjust the asking price accordingly.
- It’s also important to consider the costs associated with selling the figurines, such as listing fees, shipping costs, and any commission charged by the seller. Make sure to factor these costs into your asking price.
There are a variety of options, including online marketplaces you could use to such as:
- Facebook Marketplace
- Antique dealers
- Auction houses
Figurines such as Savage He Man, Star Wars and Transformers are among the most valuable items to sell. Here is a list of the highest and in demand value items you may find in your attic. We've also included an in-depth infographic to give you a visual breakdown of the figurines that have become some of the most significant icons of the 1980s.
- Transformers - Optimus Prime
- Masters of the Universe - Savage He-Man
- GI Joe - Duke
- Star Wars - Luke Skywalker
- The Real Ghostbusters - Stay Puft Marshmallow Man
- Secret Wars - Spider-Man
- Thundercat's - Lion-O
- Superpowers Collection - Batman
- A.S.K - Thunderhawk
- Voltron - Voltron (Lion Force)
It's worth noting that the value of these figurines varies depending on their condition and rarity, and prices can change over time. It's always a good idea to do some research on the specific figurine and learn everything you can about them. Ultimately, selling old figurines can be a lucrative venture if done correctly. By doing your research, ensuring the figurines are in good condition, and choosing the right selling platform, you can maximize the value of your collection.
Cash in the attic can revolve around many things, not just figurine collectibles related. Here are some more examples of items that could potentially be sold or "cashed in" if found in the attic:
Old Furniture and Antiques
Depending on the condition and age of the furniture, it could potentially be worth a lot of money. Some popular antique styles include;
Old Furniture - Pre-loved furniture in South Africa
Mid-Century Modern. What Is Midcentury Modern Style? Here's What You Should Know (thespruce.com)
Vintage clothing is becoming increasingly popular, and if you have any well-preserved pieces from the 1920s-1970s, they could be valuable to collectors or fashion enthusiasts and many movie sets are always looking for specific items.
Old Board Games
Vintage board games are highly collectible and could potentially fetch a high price if in good condition. There are many board games that are highly sought after by collectors and can be worth a lot of money. Some of the most valuable collectors' board games include:
- Monopoly: Early editions of the game, particularly those produced by Parker Brothers before the 1940s, can be worth thousands.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Certain editions and expansions of this popular role-playing game, particularly those from the 1970s and 1980s, can fetch high prices.
- Settlers of Catan: Limited edition or out-of-print versions of this popular strategy game can be worth thousands.
- Magic: The Gathering: Rare and highly sought-after cards from this collectible card game can be worth thousands.
- Risk: Vintage editions of this classic war game, particularly those from the 1950s and 1960s, can be quite valuable.
- Chess: Antique or intricately designed chess sets, particularly those made of high-quality materials like exotic timbers or gold, can be of extremely high value.
- Axis & Allies: Limited edition versions of this popular war game can be quite valuable, particularly those produced in the 1980s and 1990s.
Original artwork by well-known painters can be quite valuable, especially if it is in good shape, signed by the artist, and has historical or cultural importance. Original artwork from local artists can be valuable as well, especially if the artist has a following or is well-known for their talent.
Original artwork that is distinctive, visually appealing, or relates to a specific cultural or historical moment is often sought after by art collectors and fans. Paintings, sculptures, and other forms of art can be highly appreciated, as can works on paper, such as drawings and prints.
If you have an original artwork that you think may be valuable, it's a good idea to get it appraised by an expert. An appraiser can study the artwork, assess its quality and origins, and make an estimate of its value based on current market conditions and other variables.
Masterworks is a platform that allows investors to purchase shares in original works of art by well-known artists, with the potential for long-term gain. In addition, the platform offers educational tools and market analytics to assist collectors and investors in making informed decisions about purchasing and selling art.
Stamps and baseball cards, for example, could be valuable to collectors. It is critical to research the item and its condition to determine its value.
Stamp collecting, also known as philately, is a popular hobby all over the world, and some rare or unusual stamps can be extremely valuable. Stamp collectors frequently seek out stamps that are in good condition, have unusual designs, or were printed in limited quantities. Some rare stamps, such as the 1856 British Guiana 1-cent magenta, are worth millions today.
Baseball cards may be quite valuable to collectors, especially if they represent well-known players. The value of a card is determined by characteristics like popularity, rarity, and condition, and certain rare cards, such as the 1909–1911 T206 Honus Wagner card, may be worth millions.
If you have an old guitar, piano or other musical instruments in good condition, they could be worth a lot of money to collectors or musicians.
Vintage guitars, for example, are highly sought after by collectors and enthusiasts, particularly those made by iconic manufacturers such as Gibson, Fender and Martin. Electric guitars from the 1950s and 1960s, such as the Fender Stratocaster or the Gibson Les Paul, can be particularly valuable.
Pianos can be valuable if they are in good condition, rare, or have a specific historical value. Some are prized for their distinct sound, while others are sought after due to scarcity or origin. The wood also ages and produces richer sounds, which musicians often seek.
Other musical instruments, such as violins, cellos, and brass instruments, for example, can be extremely valuable if they were made by a well-known or competent manufacturer or have a unique history or provenance. You may be able to sell the instrument for a high price or pass it down as a valuable family heirloom if you take care of it and keep it in mint condition.
Collectors and book enthusiasts may value rare or first edition books. It’s important to research the book and its condition in order to estimate its worth. Consult a trustworthy bookseller or appraiser, search online auction sites or rare book databases, or look up recent sales of similar volumes. It is also important to thoroughly inspect the book's condition, as even a little damage or wear can drastically reduce its worth.
Examples of rare or valuable books include first editions of classic works of literature, limited edition or signed copies of books, books with historical or cultural significance, and rare or out-of-print books that are difficult to find.
By doing some research and taking care to preserve the condition of the book, you may be able to sell it for a significant sum or add it to your collection as a valuable and treasured item.
These are just a few examples of historical and first edition books that are highly valued by collectors and enthusiasts. Don't be put off by their age; many people have old books they never knew they had, so go through them thoroughly. You never know what you might find!
- Shakespeare's First Folio : First published in 1623, this collection of William Shakespeare's plays is regarded as one of the most important works of English literature. First Folio
- Harper Lee's classic novel: To Kill a Mockingbird was first published in 1960 and won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction the following year.
- J.D. Salinger's novel: The Catcher in the Rye, first published in 1951, is regarded as a masterpiece of modern American literature. The Catcher in the Rye
- Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: This beloved and highly collectible children's classic was first published in 1865 and has since become a beloved and highly collectible book. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Charles Darwin's Origin of Species: This groundbreaking scientific work was first published in 1859 and is regarded as one of the most important books in the history of science.
- Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Adventures: This collection of short stories, first published in 1892, introduced the world to the famous detective and is still in high demand today. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Old jewellery, such as vintage or antique pieces, can be very valuable depending on the quality of the materials and the design. Precious stones like diamonds and gemstones can also add value to the piece.
Sterling silverware or silver-plated sets can be valuable if in good condition. Look for marks on the silverware indicating the manufacturer and date of production.
China and Dishware
Old China and dishware sets can be valuable to collectors, especially if they are complete sets or from well-known brands or manufacturers.
Vintage cameras, especially from well-known brands like Leica, Canon or Nikon, can be valuable to collectors or photographers.
Super 8mm Camera
The Super 8mm camera was a popular film camera used in the 1960s and 1970s for amateur filmmaking. It was an improvement over the original 8mm camera because it used a larger film stock, resulting in better image quality. Compared to modern digital cameras, the Super 8mm camera may not be considered "good" in terms of technical specifications. However, it was highly valued for its simplicity, affordability, and accessibility to amateur filmmakers.
The Super 8mm camera was often used to create home movies, documentaries, and experimental films. It enabled filmmakers to record moments in time with a distinct aesthetic, including a distinctive grainy quality and colour palette.
While digital cameras have largely replaced film cameras for most reasons, some filmmakers still use Super 8mm cameras to capture the distinct look and feel of film. As a result, many collectors and enthusiasts are searching for these Super 8 cameras.
- Canon Auto Zoom 814: Introduced in the 1960s, this Super 8 camera was popular among both professional and amateur filmmakers. It had a fast zoom lens, automatic exposure control, and a light metre built in. Auto Zoom 814 Super 8 - Canon
- The Nizo Professional was a high-end Super 8 camera that was released in the 1970s. It featured an advanced automatic exposure system, built-in filters, and a sturdy metal body.
- Beaulieu 4008 ZM II: Released in the 1980s, this Super 8 camera was regarded as one of the best ever made. It had a powerful zoom lens, an advanced automatic exposure system, and advanced audio recording capabilities. super 8 database, beaulieu 4008 zm 2
Coins and Currency
Old coins and paper currency can be valuable depending on their rarity and condition. Collectors are always looking for unique pieces to add to their collections.
Coins and paper currency that are rare or in exceptional condition can be very valuable to collectors. These collectors often have a particular interest in a certain period, country, or type of coin or currency.
The value of a coin or paper currency is usually determined by its rarity, age, condition, and historical significance. For example, a coin that was minted in limited quantities or in a particular year can be more valuable than one that was mass-produced. Similarly, paper currency that was printed during a particular period, such as during a war or a significant event, can be highly sought after by collectors.
Condition is also important when determining the value of coins and paper currency. Coins that are in excellent condition with no signs of wear or damage can be more valuable than those that are worn or damaged. Paper currency that is crisp and free of folds, tears, or stains can command a higher value than currency that is in poor condition.
Overall, collectors are always on the lookout for unique and valuable pieces to add to their collections, and the value of coins and paper currency can vary greatly depending on their rarity and condition.
Items such as old uniforms, medals, and weapons from past wars can be valuable to collectors or history enthusiasts.
Old radios, record players, and even early computers like the Apple II series or Commodore 64 Commodore 64 , are highly sought after by collectors and enthusiasts. Some vintage electronics, like the Sony 800 Walkman made famous by Guardians of the galaxy or early gaming consoles such as the Atari 2600, have seen a surge in popularity in recent years, thanks in part to their appearance in popular movies and TV shows.
If you have any vintage electronics lying around, it's worth checking to see if they might be valuable. You can consult with a reputable collector or appraiser to get an idea of what your items are worth, or you can do some research online to see what similar items have sold for in the past.